PSI Safety Mission Statement
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences in Switzerland, conducting cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing basic and applied research, it works on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy while respecting
- the safety and health of its staff,
- the integrity of the environment and
- the exemplary condition of its research facilities.
PSI aims to be a global leader in its research and in supporting external users of its large research facilities. Health and safety are a top priority in this ambitious environment. The institute’s directorate thus caters for a high safety standard in the research environment and fosters a consciously active safety culture for the benefit of its staff, users and the environment.
Goals and implementation
PSI’s objective is to establish a consciously active safety culture that is implemented at all organisational levels:
- All of PSI’s own plants and operational facilities are planned, constructed, launched and operated in a safe, economical and environmentally friendly way. This includes implementing the relevant and applicable requirements from laws, ordinances and technical regulations.
- The institute’s directorate, line and project managers take their responsibility seriously and create favourable conditions for safety at PSI with a suitable organisational structure. They are aware of their role model function.
- The staff at all levels nurture the safety culture through a proactive, critical attitude and consistent, prudent conduct.
- Continual safety improvements are also achieved through an open exchange of information and correct documentation.
- The efficacy of measures taken following safety-related incidents is checked.
- Pinpointing hazards and assessing risks are an integral part of treading new paths in science and research.
- As regards safety, PSI promotes basic and further training among its staff.
Publisher: PSI Directorate