- Evaluate metal elements, metallic nanoparticles in postmortem brain tissues of individuals with neurodegenerative diseases by using X-ray microspectroscopy and energy SEM-dispersive X-ray (EDX) analysis
- Investigate how amyloid proteins, particularly Alzheimer's Aβ and Parkinson's α-synuclein, induce the formation of metallic nanoparticles in coacervation through the use of biophysical techniques such as NMR spectroscopy and Xray absorption spectroscopy
- Characterize the cellular toxicity and potentially harmful effects of metallic nanoparticles and metal-protein coacervates using cell viability assays and other biochemical assays
- Collaborate with other group members, utilizing the facilities and resources available at the PSI and Biozentrum Basel
- Co-supervise and co-support master and bachelor students
- Present work at international conferences/workshops and publish work
- Good background in protein aggregation, amyloid research, or metal-protein interactions
- Experience with biophysical techniques such as NMR spectroscopy or soft X-ray absorption spectroscopy
- Knowledge of neurodegenerative diseases and their molecular mechanisms
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication and scientific writing skills
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Jinghui Luo, phone +41 56 310 47 64.
Please submit your application online by 7 December 2023 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 2411-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland