We are seeking a person to join our team and contribute to the research in the area of aerosol transport. Your responsibilities will include:
- Characterizing and specifying the experimental set-up and particle transport test matrix
- Designing mock-ups of scaled-down urban environments
- Conducting experimental tests to cover relevant turbulence and particle size ranges
- Analysing experimental results, including processing of Particle Image Velocimetry PIV data, and creating a benchmarking database for CFD code validation
- Contributing to the development of a CFD particle transport model based on experimental results
- Collaborating with the water and wind tunnel team at EMPA
- Collaborating with scientists in the area of atmospheric chemistry to gather and prepare the necessary city-scale data
- Collaborating with the computational fluid dynamics CFD modellers for modelling and validation of the transport of aerosols over urban environments
- Publishing research results in relevant journals and conferences as well as and preparing technical reports
- Bachelor’s and Master’s student supervision
- You have a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Atmospheric Sciences or other related scientific field
- You are highly motivated and skilled experimentalist with a solid background in fluid flow field characterization
- You have practical experience in large-scale Particle Image Velocimetry PIV and data analysis, also a working knowledge in particle generation and characterization
- You have good understanding and knowledge of CFD simulations, and ideally experience in the use of CFD codes
- You are proficient in both spoken and written English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 1 year.
For further information, please contact Dr Omar Al-Yahia, phone +41 56 310 27 84, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application online by 28 February 2023 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 4103-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Serdal Varol, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland