Atmospheric transport has an enormeous, yet uncertain, influence on aerosol formation and scavenging. We seek to understand particle formation and growth in transported air masses, based on experiments at the CLOUD chamber at CERN. The candidate will characterize a new experimental setup, comprising a flow tube system coupled with the CLOUD chamber. They will also operate cutting-edge mass spectrometers for measuring the the molecules involved in aerosol formation. You will coordinate and participate in 2-3 measurement campaigns at CERN. You will be part of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary group of world-class scientists from 23 different institutes involved in the experiment.
- PhD degree in atmospheric science
- Experience in aerosol mass spectrometry and/or chemical ionization mass spectrometry
- In-depth experience in atmospheric reactivity, chamber experiments and box modelling
- Capability critical thinking, result evaluation, synthesis and comunication, student supervision and working in collaboration within large consortia
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Imad El Haddad, phone +41 56 310 29 95.
Please submit your application online by 15 February 2023 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 5504-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland