Our research group specializes in investigations of electronic and magnetic properties of quantum materials with Resonant Inelastic X-Ray Scattering (RIXS) and Angle Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy (ARPES). RIXS as a photon-in/photon-out spectroscopic method gives access to the low energy excitations directly related to the materials properties. These investigations cover a variety of quantum materials such as low dimensional systems, thin films of oxide heterostructures, and 3d- as well as 5d transition metal based compounds. As a PhD Student you will be registered at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL).
During your PhD studies projects your research activity will be on:
- Studies of the spin, orbital and charge correlations of two-dimensional quantum materials with Resonant Inelastic X-Ray Scattering (RIXS)
- Investigation of single crystals and exfoliated layers of van der Waals materials
- Spectroscopic investigation of these materials with the state-of-the-art RIXS spectrometer at the Advanced Resonant Spectroscopies (ADRESS) beamline at the SLS and at other synchrotron facilities worldwide
- Pump-probe RIXS investigations at free-electron laser facilities
- Excellent qualifications with a university degree (Master or equivalent) in physics, chemistry or materials sciences
- Knowledge in the physics of correlated electron materials and principles of solid state spectroscopy would be a benefit
- You enjoy practical work and like to conduct research in a team
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Thorsten Schmitt, phone +41 56 310 37 62.
Please submit your application online by 15 August 2022 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 6516-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Alina Rao