The study of quantum spin liquids is a fascinating research field concerned with exotic phenomena emerging from strong correlations in frustrated magnets. The absence of symmetry-breaking order in particular makes it difficult to identify univocal signatures of these states of quantum matter. Complementary information about the entropy and the dynamic properties are of high importance to lift this ambiguity. For this purpose, we look for a PhD Student in order to:
- Build instrumentation for specific heat and thermal conductivity measurements at ultra-low temperatures
- Investigate quantum spin ice materials with the developed techniques
- Participate in related experiments using large scale facilities, especially neutron scattering
- Master degree in physics, ideally with a focus on condensed matter
- Strong interest in instrumentation development and practical work
- Very good English language skills
- Experience with low temperature experiments and instrumentation development is an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Romain Franck Sibille, phone +41 56 310 35 80 or Dr Marek Bartkowiak, phone +41 56 310 47 31.
Please submit your application online by 30 June 2022 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 3601-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland