Together with an industrial partner based in Ticino (Switzerland) you will work on a joint project that aims to establish detailed fundamental data on the thermodynamics and kinetics of the industrial urea synthesis under (supercritical) process conditions.During this PhD project you will
- Develop a NIR spectroscopy / chemometrics based method to quantitatively determine the concentrations of reactants, products and possible byproducts in a laboratory test rig
- Establish a refined phase diagram covering the process conditions
- Determine kinetic data in batch and continuous flow experiments to cover the different time regimes
- Perform neutron radiography experiments to study the phase behavior
- Meet the industrial partner to report and discuss the project progress
- Receive your PhD degree from the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL, Prof. O. Kröcher)
- Master degree in chemistry or materials science with experience in (N)IR spectroscopy, kinetics and thermodynamics as well as computational data analysis / modeling
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Some knowledge of Italian is an asset
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Davide Ferri, phone +41 56 310 27 81.
Please submit your application online by 31 January 2022 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5105-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland