Software Scientist (Data Acquisition)
Join us to help develop a world class user software environment for conducting high impact experiments.
In a collaboration with colleagues in Science IT, Photon Science Department PSD, and the controls group you will initially have a unique opportunity to help establish and plan a solution and roadmap for the better standardisation for end user experiment control software. In the first step of this long term project, you will have the opportunity to develop and prove the capabilities of the solution ensuring it integrates with existing software and hardware layers, while still meeting the demanding and exacting needs to control high data rate, accurate and tuneable experiments.
Your main tasks will include:
- Lead on the evaluation and where necessary contribute to the design, implementation and eventual support for a standard environment for end station/experiment control at the Swiss Light Source SLS
- Contribute to the running and improving the Swiss Light Source SLS beamline computing infrastructure and in the integration of new detectors and processing functionality
- Collaborate with the instrument scientists, the IT and control groups for IT related problems and assist the scientists at SwissFEL (Switzerlands's X-Ray free-electron laser at PSI) in defining their IT requirements
- Work at the interface between instrument staff, beamline controls and Science IT on high data rate and volume beamlines
- Working closely with colleagues of similar function at the Swiss Light Source SLS and SwissFEL along with leading national and international institutions
As either an enthusiastic and talented early career or experienced professional, you should be motivated to work at the interface between science and computing technology. You will have previous experience or a deep knowledge of photon experiments or understanding the needs for supporting time critical experiments and processes. You have experience of software languages extensively used in science such as Python and possibly JAVA or C++ and ideally knowledge of controls systems such as EPICS. You can demonstrate the ability to assimilate new ideas and turn them into practical, applied techniques and a willingness to continue to learn new developments.
You hold a degree in natural science or computer science with a high component of software development. A very good command of written and spoken English is a must, while knowledge of German is an advantage. If you are a strong team player with excellent communication skills and sense of responsibility, this position will offer you a great opportunity to develop your career in an exciting and highly multidisciplinary environment.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Alun Ashton, phone +41 56 310 44 81.
Please submit your application online by 18 October 2020 for the position as a Software Scientist (index no. 9551-03).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland