Beamline Data Scientist
You will be a part of the MX group and participate in development and user operation of the three MX beamlines at the SLS. Your main tasks in collaboration with PSI detector and IT groups are:
- Develop high performance data acquisition system for the next generation high frame-rate X-Ray detectors such as JUNGFRAU
- Develop innovative and sustainable hardware/software solutions for high data-rate MX applications in SLS and SLS 2.0
- Optimization of data compression, real-time analysis, and storage
- Explore new computing technologies like machine learning for self-driving beamline operation and self-learning MX experiment and data analysis
- Integrate network-based ancillary beamline hardware (IoT) in the operation work-flow
- Support high data-rate user operation of MX beamlines at SLS/SLS 2.0 and SwissFEL
- Opportunities to develop your own research including pursuing 3rd party funding
- Supervision of assigned personnel, mentoring of PhD students and Postdocs
You hold a PhD degree in natural science or related field, and have substantial experience in high data-rate synchrotron experiments, e. g. MX. A track record of applying modern computing environments to enable scientific research is required. As a teamplayer you will work in a stimulating international environment, giving you excellent opportunities for new initiatives. Very good command of English is mandatory, and knowledge of German is an advantage.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to three years.
For further information, please contact Dr Meitian Wang, phone +41 56 310 41 75.
Please submit your application online by 9 February 2020 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Beamline Data Scientist (index no. 6121-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Elke Baumann, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland