You will take part in the High Intensity Muon Beam Line (HIMB) project, aiming to substantially increase the muon rate available for precision experiments by redesigning one of the meson production target stations of the HIPA facility as well as the two secondary beam lines. You will work on the simulation of the primary proton beam optics in order to adapt it to the new target set up.
In particular, you will be expected to:
- Perform beam transport simulations of the HIPA 590 MeV proton channel to find the optimum beam optics with the HIMB target
- Benchmark and comparison of different beam transport codes with measurements on the existing HIPA 590 MeV proton channel
- Propose the layout of the beam line to Target E
- Study the effect of the HIMB target on the beam transport between Target E and the SINQ target
- Document your work in reports and publications
- PhD degree in nuclear and particle physics
- Experience in proton accelerators, in particular in beam transport simulations, is considered as an asset
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in an international and multidisciplinary team
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of the German language is an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to two years.
For further information, please contact Dr Davide Reggiani, phone +41 56 310 30 24.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 8142-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Patrizia Meister, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland