- Be involved in preparing radioactive specimens from targeted regions of irradiated UO2 fuel pellets, using the newly installed PSI-HotLab-FIB facility
- Carryout transmission electron microscopy (TEM) analyses, and join synchrotron radiation based measurements during beam-campaigns at the PSI-SLS
- Interpret experimental data and develop an understanding of the structural evolution of irradiated UO2 at the atomic scale
- Publish results in leading international journals and reputed conference proceedings, and write a PhD thesis on the topic
- You hold a Master degree in physics, chemistry or material science
- Highly interested in nuclear materials research
- Prior work experiences with Focused Ion Beam (FIB) micromachining and associated electron microscopy techniques (e.g., SEM, EBSD, TEM, SAD etc.) are a strong asset
- Also interested in modern synchrotron radiation based μXRD and μXAS techniques, and in computer modelling work for the interpretation of experimental data
- English proficiency (both speaking and writing), German is advantageous
- Interest to work in a team, in a multi-disciplinary and international environment
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
The thesis work will be carried out at the Paul Scherrer Institut in Villigen, the PhD degree will be awarded by the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL).
For further information please contact Dr Goutam Kuri, phone +41 56 310 21 82 or Dr Johannes Bertsch, phone +41 56 310 41 73.
Please submit your application online by 31 August 2019 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4602-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Sabrina Orteca, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland