- Prepare cathode catalyst layers based on Pt-aerogels (provided by an external partner) and optimize their structure and electrochemical fuel cell performance
- Study the behavior of such thin catalyst layers under non-conventional conditions (e.g., sub-freezing temperatures, low relative humidities) relevant to automotive application
- Develop strategies to mitigate possible issues unveiled by the above studies and/or to further improve the catalyst layers' performance
- Test the viability of these approaches under accelerated stress protocols designed to simulate catalyst degradation under realistic fuel cell operation conditions
- Use these results to define guidelines for the design of improved catalyst layers for high-power output polymer electrolyte fuel cells
- Publish the results of these works in well-regarded journals
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Prof Dr. Thomas Justus Schmidt, phone +41 56 310 57 65 or Dr Juan Herranz, phone +41 56 310 55 62.
Please submit your application online (including addresses of referees) by 31 May 2019 for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5423-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland