The main goal of the project is development of an emulator of resonance cavities for beam acceleration. The emulator should be in a form of a stand‐alone electronic box which can be connected to a Low Level Radio Frequency (LLRF) system for laboratory tests. Such platform should allow continuous studies of control algorithms and firmware / software of the LLRF systems without disturbing the real cavity operation. Such a platform would also be used for training of on‐call duty staff without risk of damaging real high‐power RF system.
Your tasks will be:
Implementation of the RF cavity simulator:
- Together with the LLRF experts you will learn the actual basic model of the RF system simulator which includes a resonance cavity simulator. You will work out model extension for configurable bandwidth and detuning, emulation of a resonator tuner, beam loading effects, disturbances like resonator detuning due to temperature drifts, high power amplifier non‐linearity and noise emulation
- With support of electronic engineers you will implement the model extensions in a system on chip (SoC) using VHDL and C
- Commissioning and test of the simulator on a given evaluation board with Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+
- You study physics or electrical‐engineering (minimum 4 semesters)
- You had a course in VHDL and C programming
- You have some experience with Xilinx Vivado tool and ModelSim
- You have basic knowledge in digital signal processing and hands‐on experience with Python
- You are open‐minded, communicative and enjoy working in an international team
- You have not yet completed your Master’s thesis
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration.
The employment contract will be limited to 3 months.
For further information, please contact Dr. Waldemar Koprek, phone +41 56 310 37 65.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Trainee (index no. 8221‐T1).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Patrizia Meister, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland