This experimental PhD project aims at understanding the chemical composition and sources of atmospheric organic aerosols in pristine environments with a focus on macromolecules and the cryosphere. The thesis will be within the Ambizione project: MACrAA and you will be able to collaborate with leading scientists in the fields of polar / alpine science and environmental chemistry.
Your main tasks are:
- Perform laboratory experiments and fieldwork to identify key compounds in atmospheric aerosols and determine their sources and composition
- Develop, optimize and operate different types of state-of-the-art mass spectrometers
- Statistical analysis and interpretation of complex and large datasets
- Collaboration with team members and external project members
- Write and contribute to high quality peer-reviewed scientific journals and present findings at scientific conferences
You will be enrolled in the doctoral program of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETHZ)
- Master's degree in chemistry, physics, statistics, environmental sciences, or similar
- Very good English language skills
- First experiences in programming and data analysis techniques are an asset
- First experiences in applied laboratory work is desired
- Interest in atmospheric processes combined with initiative and enthusiasm to conduct research in a multidisciplinary team
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Imad El Haddad, phone +41 56 310 29 95.
Please submit your application online by 31 May 2022 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5504-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland