Currently our main interest is concentrated at controlling spins in adsorbed molecules by chemical and/or physical switches. We perform in-depth studies of various molecule-switch combinations in order to understand the mechanisms ruling the magnetic response. Density Functional Theory (DFT)+U calculations performed by our collaborators (see below) give a very important input to achieve this goal.
News and Highlights
Free-standing molecular monolayers
In a collaboration within the network of the Swiss Nanoscience Institute, the formation of free-standing molecular monolayers using self-assembly processes has been demonstrated. The results of the study have been published in the February 2019 issue of Science Advances.
- Surface Science Lab at Laboratory for Micro-and Nanotechnology
- Scanning Probe Microscopy Userlab at Laboratory for Micro-and Nanotechnology
- PEARL* beamline of the Swiss Light Source.
Related facility instrumentation
- Prof. Dr. N. Ballav IISER Pune
- Prof. Dr. P. Oppeneer Uppsala University
- Prof. Dr. F. Nolting Swiss Light Source
- Prof. Dr. F. Diederich ETH Zurich
- Prof. Dr. L. H. Gade Heidelberg University
- Prof. Dr. E. Meyer University of Basel
- Prof. Dr. S. Goedecker University of Basel
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Gobrecht PSI LMN and INKA
- Prof. S. Decurtins University of Bern
- Dr. A. Kleibert Swiss Light Source
- Dr. J. Dreiser Swiss Light Source
- Dr. C. Piamonteze Swiss Light Source
- Dr. J. Raabe Swiss Light Source
- Dr. Hans Sigg, Dr. M. Camarda, J. Wörle PSI LMN
- Dr. H. Bartolf, Dr. J. Lehmann, Dr. R. A. Minamisawa ABB Switzerland
- Dr. A. Schöner Ascatron Switzerland
- Dr. S. Gerstl EMEZ ETH Zurich
Girovsky J, Nowakowski J, Ali MdEhesan, Baljozovic M, et al.
Nat. Commun. 8, 15388 (2017)
Surface science at the PEARL beamline of the Swiss Light Source
Muntwiler M, Zhang J, Stania R, Matsui F, et al.
J. Synchrotron Rad. 24, 354 (2017)
Device Simulations on Novel High Channel Mobility 4H-SiC Trench MOSFETs and Their Fabrication Processes
H. R. Rossmann, A. Bubendorf, F. Zanella, N. Marjanović, et al.
Microelectron. Eng. 145, 166 (2015)
Interplay of weak interactions in the atom-by-atom condensation of xenon within quantum boxes
S. Nowakowska, A. Waeckerlin, S. Kawai, T. Ivas, J. Nowakowski, et al.
Nat. Commun. 6, 6071 (2015)
Antiferromagnetic coupling of Cr-porphyrin to a bare Co substrate
J. Girovsky, K. Tarafder, C. Waeckerlin, J. Nowakowski, D. Siewert et al.
Phys. Rev. B 90, 220404 (2014)
On-surface synthesis of a two-dimensional porous coordination network: Unraveling adsorbate interactions
M. Matena, J. Bjork, M. Wahl, T-L. Lee, J. Zegenhagen, L. H. Gade, et al.
Phys. Rev. B 90, 125408 (2014)
Exchange Interaction of Strongly Anisotropic Tripodal Erbium Single-Ion Magnets with Metallic Surfaces
J. Dreiser, C. Waeckerlin, Md. E. Ali, C. Piamonteze, F. Donati, et al.
ACS Nano 8, 4662 (2014)
Covalent assembly of a two-dimensional molecular "sponge" on a Cu(111) surface: confined electronic surface states in open and closed pores
A. Shchyrba, S. C. Martens, C. Waeckerlin, M. Matena, T. Ivas, et al.
Chem. Commun. 50, 7628 (2014)
Controlling the Dimensionality of On-Surface Coordination Polymers via Endo- or Exoligation
A. Shchyrba, C. Waeckerlin, J. Nowakowski, S. Nowakowska, et al.
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 9355 (2014)
Investigating magneto-chemical interactions at molecule-substrate interfaces by X-ray photo-emission electron microscopy
J. Girovsky, M. Buzzi, C. Waeckerlin, D. Siewert, J. Nowakowski, et al.
Chem. Commun. 50, 5190 (2014)
Two-Dimensional Supramolecular Electron Spin Arrays
C. Waeckerlin, J. Nowakowski, S-X. Liu, J. Michael, D. Siewert, et al.
Adv. Mater. 25, 2404(2013)
Porphyrin metalation providing an example of a redox reaction facilitated by a surface reconstruction
J. Nowakowski, C. Wäckerlin, J. Girovsky, D. Siewert, T. A. Jung, N. Ballav
Chem. Commun. 49, 2347 (2013)
Emergence of On-Surface Magnetochemistry
N. Ballav, C. Wäckerlin, D. Siewert, P. M. Oppeneer, T. A. Jung
J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 4, 2303 (2013)