Dr. Jan Gui-Hyon Dreiser
5232 Villigen PSI
- Molecular spintronics
- Single-molecule magnets and single-ion molecular magnets in bulk and at interfaces
- 2D magnetic materials and layered compounds
- Light-induced switching in magnetic molecules and magnetic nanostructures
- Techniques: X-ray magnetic circular dichroism, scanning tunneling microscopy, terahertz and optical spectroscopy, scanning confocal microscopy, inelastic neutron scattering, electron spin resonance
- 2015 - now : Scientist at Swiss Light Source, Paul Scherrer Institut
- 2013 - 2015 : Ambizione (Swiss National Science Foundation) group leader in the Laboratory of Nanostructures on Surfaces (Prof. Harald Brune), Institute of Condensed Matter Physics, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2010 - 2013 : Postdoctoral Fellow in the Microscopy and Magnetism Group (Prof. Frithjof Nolting), Swiss Light Source, Paul Scherrer Institut, Switzerland
- 2008 - 2010 : Postdoctoral Fellow in the Molecular Nanomagnet Group (Prof. Oliver Waldmann), Department of Physics, University of Freiburg, Germany
- 2007 : PhD Thesis: ”Optical study, preparation and measurement of a single quantum-dot spin“, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. Supervisor: Prof. Atac Imamoglu, Quantum Photonics Group, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2003 : M.Sc. equivalent (Diplôme d’Etudes Approfondies: Physique de la Matière et du Rayonnement), Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
- 2001 : German “Vordiplom”, Technical University, Munich, Germany
Selected Articles in Refereed Journals (The full list of publications is available through this link here.)
- Understanding the Superior Stability of Single-Molecule Magnets on an Oxide Film, M. Studniarek, C. Wäckerlin, A. Singha, R. Baltic, K. Diller, F. Donati, S. Rusponi, H. Brune, Y. Lan, S. Klyatskaya, M. Ruben, A.P. Seitsonen, J. Dreiser, accepted for publication in Advanced Science (2019).
- Direct Observation of Charge Transfer and Magnetism in Fe4Co4 Cyanide-Bridged Molecular Cubes, N. Daffé, J.-R. Jiménez, M. Studniarek, A. Benchohra, M.-A. Arrio, R. Lescouëzec, J. Dreiser, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 10, 1799 (2019).
- Engineering On-Surface Spin Crossover: Spin-State Switching in a Self-Assembled Film of Vacuum Sublimable Functional Molecule, K.S. Kumar, M. Studniarek, B. Heinrich, J. Arabski, G. Schmerber, M. Bowen, S. Boukari, E. Beaurepaire, J. Dreiser, M. Ruben, Advanced Materials, 30, 1705416 (2018).
- Magnetic Memory from Site Isolated Dy(III) on Silica Materials, F. Allouche, G. Lapadula, G. Siddiqi, W. W. Lukens, O. Maury, B. Le Guennic, F. Pointillart, J. Dreiser, V. Mougel, O. Cador, C. Copéret, ACS Central Science 3, 244 (2017).
- Giant Hysteresis of Single-Molecule Magnets Adsorbed on a Nonmagnetic Insulator, C. Wäckerlin, F. Donati, A. Singha, R. Baltic, S. Rusponi, K. Diller, F. Patthey, M. Pivetta, Y. Lan, S. Klyatskaya, M. Ruben, H. Brune, J. Dreiser, Advanced Materials 28, 5195 (2016).
- Magnetic Remanence in Single Atoms, F. Donati, S. Rusponi, S. Stepanow, C. Wäckerlin, A. Singha, L. Persichetti, R. Baltic, K. Diller, F. Patthey, E. Fernandes, J. Dreiser, Z. Sljivancanin, K. Kummer, C. Nistor, P. Gambardella, H. Brune, Science 352, 318 (2016).
- Out-of-Plane Alignment of Er(trensal) Easy Magnetization Axes Using Graphene, J. Dreiser, G.E. Pacchioni, F. Donati, L. Gragnaniello, A. Cavallin, K.S. Pedersen, J. Bendix, B. Delley, M. Pivetta, S. Rusponi, H. Brune, ACS Nano 10, 2887 (2016).
- Review Article: Molecular lanthanide single-ion magnets: from bulk to submonolayers, J. Dreiser, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 27, 183203 (2015).
- The Metallofullerene Field-Induced Single-Ion Magnet HoSc2N@C80, J. Dreiser, R. Westerström, Y. Zhang, A. A. Popov, L. Dunsch, K. Krämer, S.-X. Liu, S. Decurtins, T. Greber, Chemistry − A European Journal 20, 13536 (2014).
- Exchange Interaction of Strongly Anisotropic Tripodal Erbium Single-Ion Magnets with Metallic Surfaces, J. Dreiser, C. Wäckerlin, Md. E. Ali, C. Piamonteze, F. Donati, A. Singha, K. S. Pedersen, S. Rusponi, J. Bendix, P. M. Oppeneer, T. A. Jung, H. Brune, ACS Nano 8, 4662 (2014).
- Three-Axis Anisotropic Exchange Coupling in the Single-Molecule Magnets (NEt4)[Mn(III)2(5-Brsalen)2(MeOH)2M(III)(CN)6] (M = Ru, Os), J. Dreiser, K. S. Pedersen, A. Schnegg, K. Holldack, J. Nehrkorn, M. Sigrist, P. Tregenna-Piggott, H. Mutka, H. Weihe, V. S. Mironov, J. Bendix, O. Waldmann, Chemistry − A European Journal 19, 3693 (2013).
- Direct observation of a ferri-to-ferromagnetic transition in a fluoride-bridged 3d-4f molecular cluster, J. Dreiser, K. S. Pedersen, C. Piamonteze, S. Rusponi, Z. Salman, Md. E. Ali, M. Schau-Magnussen, C. Aa. Thuesen, S. Piligkos, H. Weihe, H. Mutka, O. Waldmann, P. Oppeneer, J. Bendix, F. Nolting, H. Brune, Chemical Science 3, 1024 (2012); Published online on December 7, 2011.
- Quantized antiferromagnetic spin waves in the molecular Heisenberg ring CsFe8, J. Dreiser, O. Waldmann, C. Dobe, G. Carver, S. T. Ochsenbein, A. Sieber, H. U. Güdel, J. van Duijn, J. Taylor, A. Podlesnyak, Physical Review B 81, 024408 (2010).
- Optical investigations of quantum dot spin dynamics, J. Dreiser, M. Atatüre, C. Galland, T. Müller, A. Badolato, A. Imamoğlu, Physical Review B 77, 075317 (2008).
- Quantum-dot spin-state preparation with near-unity fidelity, M. Atatüre, J. Dreiser, A. Badolato, A. Högele, K. Karrai, A. Imamoğlu, Science 312, 551 (2006).
Invited talks (since 2010)
Studying Functional Molecular Materials by X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy
Seminar, Max-Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion, May 21, 2019, Mülheim, Germany
- Shedding Light on Functional Molecular Magnetic Interfaces, Satellite Workshop of the Intl. Conf. on Molecule-based Magnets, August 30-31, 2018, Brazilian Synchrotron Light Laboratory, Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
- Tuning the Properties of Lanthanide Single-Molecule Magnets at Interfaces, Sino-Swiss Technology Cooperation Workshop on Endohedral Fullerenes, June 24-27, 2017, Villa Garbald, Castasegna, Switzerland
- Tuning the Properties of Single-Ion Molecular Magnets at Interfaces, Seminar Surface Chemistry Group Prof. Chr. Coperet, ETH Hönggerberg, March 27, 2017, Zürich, Switzerland
- Tailoring the Properties of Molecular Single-Ion Magnets on Surfaces, Seminar Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung, November 2, 2016, Stuttgart, Germany
- Studying molecular magnets on surfaces using x-rays and scanning tunneling microscopy, Discussion meeting Profs Waldmann/Powell/Schnack with students, October 12-14, 2016, Oberkirch, Germany
- Molecular Single-Ion Magnets: Harnessing Molecule-Surface Interactions, International School and Symposium on Synchrotron Radiation in Natural Science (ISSRNS), June 13-18, 2016, Ustron, Poland
- Engineering Magnetic Molecule-Inorganic Heterointerfaces, Bordeaux Olivier Kahn discussions (BOOK-D), CNRS-CRPP, May 26-27, 2016, Bordeaux, France
- XMCD on molecular magnets, CoNEXT workshop, Niels Bohr Institute, September 28, 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Using X-rays - Instrumentation for Spectroscopy, PSI summer school on condensed matter research, Lyceum Alpinum, August 15-21, 2015, Zuoz, Switzerland
- Single-Ion Magnets: Getting Control of the Molecule-Metal Interface, Swiss-Sino Workshop, FHNW Campus Brugg/Windisch, May 4-5, 2015, Windisch, Switzerland
- X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy & X-ray Magnetic Circular Dichroism – An Introduction, Symposium on X-ray spectroscopy, Copenhagen Univ., June 17-19, 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Bulk and submonolayer studies of novel single-ion molecular magnets, Focus Session: New trends in Molecular Magnetism, Annual Meeting of the German Physical Society, March 30-April 04, 2014, Dresden, Germany
- Three-axis anisotropic exchange coupling in cyanide-bridged 4d and 5d single-molecule magnets, European Conference on Molecular Magnetism, October 6-10, 2013, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Single-molecule magnets studied by synchrotron-based Terahertz and X-ray techniques, BESSY user meeting, December 13, 2012, BESSY, Berlin, Germany
- Studying magnetism at the nanoscale — using molecular magnets, Atomic, Mesoscopic and Optical Physics Seminar, May 28, 2012, Cavendish Lab, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Magnetism at the nanoscale: From single spins to coupled clusters, Seminar (group Prof. Wulfhekel), May 2, 2012, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Magnetic exchange coupling in 3d-4f molecular nanomagnets investigated by X-ray magnetic circular dichroism, Annual Meeting of the Danish Chemical Society, June 9, 2011, Odense, Denmark
- Terahertz - EPR on cyanide-bridged single-molecule magnets, Low-alpha workshop, December 8, 2010, BESSY, Berlin, Germany
- Molecular spin clusters: A toolbox for studying magnetism at the nanoscale, Solid State Seminar, May 19, 2010, Zurich University, Switzerland
- 2019- : Internal project grant (CROSS initiative), PI: J. Dreiser, Co-PI: Z. Salman. "Toward Quantum Technologies with X-rays and Muons", 266'000 Swiss Francs
- 2019- : Project Grant, Swiss National Science Foundation, PI: J. Dreiser. "Selective Resonant Optical Excitations and Spin Pumping in Functional Magnetic Materials", 484'564 Swiss Francs
- 2017- : Project Grant, Swiss Nanoscience Institute, Co-PI: J. Dreiser, PI: T. A. Jung, "Self-assembly and magnetic order of 2D spin lattices on surfaces", 260'000 Swiss Francs
- 2017- 2019 : Project Grant, Swiss National Science Foundation, PI: J. Dreiser, "Tuning the magnetization relaxation times of surface supported single-molecule magnets by ultrathin insulating films", 175'000 Swiss Francs
- 2013-2015 : Ambizione Grant, Swiss National Science Foundation, PI: J. Dreiser, "Magnetic and Optical Investigations of Surface-Deposited Single-Ion Magnets", 550'000 Swiss Francs