You will take part in the development of a novel High-intensity Muon Beamline aiming to increase the available muon rates at PSI by almost two orders of magnitude to 1E10 muons/s. This will be achieved by designing a new meson production target at PSI and developing two novel solenoid-based beamlines with high capture and transmission efficiency to guide the muons to the experimental areas.
You will be responsible for the development of the muon beamlines. In particular, you will be expected to:
- Perform simulations of muon beam generation, transport and muon/positron separation
- Optimize the muon beam optics for highest transmitted muon rates
- Study the optimal coupling of the muon beamline to various experiments
- Take part in the commissioning of the existing muon beamline for the Mu3e experiment
- PhD degree in nuclear or particle physics
- Experience with particle beamlines and experiments at large facilities desired but not required
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in an international team
- Good command of English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Andreas Knecht, phone +41 56 310 21 13.
Please submit your application online by 15 April 2020 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3203-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland