In addition to advertised positions, we always welcome applications from highly motivated and skilled candidates.
Postdoctoral fellow on ultrafast microwave-induced dynamics (80-100%)
We seek for a person, able to push technical and scientific boundaries. You will become part of a vibrant research environment, using state-of-the-art instrumentation to perform your own and collaborative research on microwave-driven magnetic insulators, based at the SLS synchrotron and the SwissFEL X-ray free-electron laser.
Your tasks will be:
- Experimental investigation (X-ray imaging and diffraction, as well as ferromagnetic resonance) of magnetic insulators, e.g. rare-earth quantum magnets and magnetic garnets, as part of the HERO ERC Synergy project
- Build-up of microwave capabilities for combination with optics at the SLS and microwave pump – X-Ray probe experiments at SwissFEL, including development of respective data analysis capabilities
- PhD degree in physical sciences or electrical engineering
- Experienced in design, assembly and operation of microwave equipment
- Background in either magnetism, superconducting circuits or quantum optics
- Proficient with data analysis techniques
More information can be found on:
Deadline for applications is May 1, 2022.
MSc/PhD thesis on non-equilibrium quantum phenomena
We are looking for motivated candidates at MSc/PhD thesis level to conduct and analyze experiments on non-equilibrium quantum phenomena in insulators containing rare earth and other magnetic ions. As a part of our team at PSI, ETHZ and EPFL you will design, assemble and operate advanced microwave devices, to be used in concert with low-temperature optical spectroscopy as well as the electron accelerator-based photon sources SLS and SwissFEL at PSI. Experience in optical, condensed matter and quantum physics and/or electrical engineering is an advantage.