In the framework of the European Joint Programm EURAD-Gas you will:
- Develop state-of-the-art pore scale numerical models for gas transport in clays porous media
- Conduct Monte Carlo and molecular dynamics simulations to calculate the distribution of water and gas molecules in the pores
- Derive pore-scale diffusion coefficients for aqueous and gaseous species as a function of relative humidity, pore size, heterogeneity
- Upscale resutls using lattice Boltzmann algorithms to derive effective diffusivity / effective permeabilty correlations
- Evaluate the effect of heterogeneities and pore network connectivity based on model structure of clay rocks
- Apply and compare the results of simulations to experimental data obtained within the EURAD project GAS
You are a highly motivated individual with good communication skills and easily adaptable to a new working environment. You hold a Master degree / Diploma in Physics, Chemistry, Geosciences, Engineering or related fields. Welcome assets include prior experience in programming and numerical modelling (Molecular dynamics, Lattice Boltzmann, CFD)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr Nikolaos Prasianakis, phone +41 56 310 24 15.
Please submit your application online by 31 July 2019 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4403-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sabrina Orteca, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland