Dr. Yohei Sato
Computational Fluid Dynamics Group >>
5232 Villigen PSI
Yohei Sato works at the Paul Scherrer Institute as a scientist, and at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ) as a lecturer on Computational Multiphase Thermal Fluid Dynamics. He received his bachelor degree from the University of Tokyo in 1995. He worked for Tokio Marine Fire Insurance Co., Ltd. for one year, and then restarted stidy as a masters student at the Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering at the University of Tokyo, graduating in 1999. After graduation, he worked for Asahi Glass Co., Ltd. as a research engineer for three years. From 2002 to 2009, he worked for the Center for CFD Research at the National Maritime Research Institute. During this period, he studied as a part-time student on a doctoral course at the University of Tokyo, and received his Ph. D. degree in 2006. Since 2009, he has been working in Paul Scherrer Institute as a scientist. His major research field is Computational Fluid Dynamics, especially for free-surface flows and phase-change phenomena.
- 1991-1995 B.S. at the University of Tokyo
- 1997-1999 M.S. at the University of Tokyo
- 2003-2006 PhD at the University of Tokyo
Journal papers (2018-2023)
- A. Cukrov, D. Landek, Y. Sato, I. Boras, B. Niceno, Water entry: a classical naval hydrodynamics problem enhanced with the heat and mass transfer, and applied in an immersion quenching simulation, Energies, Accepted. DOI:10.20944/preprints202310.1452.v1
- A. Cukrov, Y. Sato, I. Boras, B. Niceno, Film boiling around a finite size cylindrical Specimen - A transient conjugate heat transfer approach, Applied Sciences, 13 (2023) 9144. DOI:10.3390/app13169144
- T. Mrazek, Y. Sato, M. Sayed, N. Nick, Y. Sato, Investigation of shock waves reflected at the end of a Hyperloop tube, Aerospace Science and Technology, 139 (2023), 108379. DOI:10.1016/j.ast.2023.108379
- D. Vlček, Y. Sato, Sensitivity analysis for subcooled flow boiling using Eulerian CFD approach, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 405 (2023), 112194. DOI:10.1016/j.nucengdes.2023.112194
- S. Jia, Y. Sato, S. Tsujino, Size and shape dependent rotation characteristics of thin film ultrasonic rotors, Applied Physics Letters, 121 (2022), 254102. DOI:10.1007/s10494-022-00340-y
- P. Apanasevich, D. Lucas, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, DNS and highly-resolved LES of heat and mass transfer in two-phase counter-current condensing flow, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, (2022). DOI:10.1063/5.0126000
- M.Corrado, Y. Sato, Magnetohydrodynamics simulation of the nonlinear behavior of single rising bubbles in liquid metals in the presence of a horizontal magnetic field, Fluids, 7 (2022) 349. DOI:10.3390/fluids7110349
- M.W. Kepa, T. Tomizaki, Y. Sato, D. Ozerov, H. Sekiguchi, N. Yasuda, K. Aoyama, P. Skopintsev, J. Standfuss, R. Cheng, M. Hennig, S. Tsujino, Acoustic levitation and rotation of thin films and their application for room temperature protein crystallography, Scientific Reports, 12 (2022) 5349. DOI:10.1038/s41598-022-09167-z
- L. Bureš, Y. Sato, Comprehensive simulations of boiling with a resolved microlayer: validation and sensitivity study, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 933 (2022) A54. DOI:10.1017/jfm.2021.1108
- M. Bizzozero, Y. Sato, M. A. Sayed, Aerodynamic study of a Hyperloop pod equipped with compressor to overcome the Kantrowitz limit, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 218 (2021) 104784. DOI:10.1016/j.jweia.2021.104784
- L. Bureš, Y. Sato, A. Pautz, Piecewise linear interface-capturing volume-of-fluid method in axisymmetric cylindrical coordinates, Journal of Computational Physics, 436 (2021) 110291. DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2021.110291
- L. Bureš, Y. Sato, On the modelling of the transition between contact-line and microlayer evaporation regimes in nucleate boiling, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 916 (2021) A53. DOI:10.1017/jfm.2021.204
- L. Bureš, Y. Sato, Direct numerical simulation of evaporation and condensation with the geometric VOF method and a sharp-interface phase-change model, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 173 (2021) 121233. DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2021.121233
- A. Cukrov, Y. Sato, I. Boras, B. Ničeno, A solution to Stefan problem using Eulerian two-fluid VOF model, Brodogradnja (Shipbuilding), 72 (2021) 141-164. DOI:10.21278/brod72408
- N. Nick, Y. Sato, Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation of Hyperloop Pod Predicting Laminar-Turbulent Transition, Railway Engineering Science, 28 (2020) 97-111. DOI:10.1007/s40534-020-00204-z
- L. Bureš, Y. Sato, Direct numerical simulation of phase change in the presence of non-condensable gases. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 151 (2020) 119400. DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.119400
- W. Guo, A. Shams, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Influence of buoyancy in a mixed convection liquid metal flow for a horizontal channel configuration, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 85 (2020) 108630. DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2020.108630.
- S. Tsujino, Y. Sato, Y. Takeda, T. Tomizaki, Oscillation resonance and anisotropic damping of the motion of acoustically levitated droplets in single-axis acoustic levitators, Applied Physics Letters, 115 (2019) 053702. DOI:10.1063/1.5112109.
- Y. Liu, N. Dinh, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Data-driven modeling for boiling heat transfer: using deep neural networks and high-fidelity simulation results, Applied Thermal Engineering, 144 (2018) 305-320. DOI:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.08.041.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Pool boiling simulation using an interface tracking method: From nucleate boiling to film boiling regime through critical heat flux, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 125 (2018) 876-890. DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.04.131.
Journal papers (-2017)
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Large eddy simulation of upward co-current annular boiling flow using an interface tracking method, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 321 (2017) 69-81. DOI:10.1016/j.nucengdes.2017.03.003.
- G. Giustini, S.P. Walker, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Computational fluid dynamics analysis of the transient cooling of the boiling surface at bubble departure, Journal of Heat Transfer, 139 (2017) 091501. DOI:10.1115/1.4036572.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Nucleate pool boiling simulation using interface tracking method: boiling regime from discrete bubble to vapor mushroom region, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 105 (2017) 505-524, DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.10.018.
- H. Badreddine, Y. Sato, M. Berger, B. Niceno, A Three-Dimensional, Immersed Boundary, Finite Volume Method for the Simulation of Incompressible Heat Transfer Flows around Complex Geometries, International journal of Chemical Engineering, (2017) 1726519, DOI:10.1155/2017/1726519.
- J. Murallidharan, G. Giustini, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, V. Badalassi, S.P. Walker, CFD simulation of single bubble growth under high pressure pool boiling conditions, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 48 (2016) 859-869, DOI:10.1016/j.net.2016.06.004.
- H. Takagi, M. Nakashima, Y. Sato, K. Matsuuchi, S. Ross, Numerical and experimental investigations of human swimming motions, Journal of Sports Sciences, 34 (2016) 1564-1580, DOI:10.1080/02640414.2015.1123284.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A depletable micro-layer model for nucleate pool boiling, Journal of Computational physics, 300 (2015) 20-52, DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2015.07.046.
- S. Lal, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Direct numerical simulation of the bubble dynamics in subcooled and near-saturated convective nucleate boiling, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 51 (2015) 16-28, DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2014.10.018.
- H. Badreddine, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, H-M. Prasser, Finite size Lagrangian particle tracking approach to simulate dispersed bubbly flows, Chemical Engineering Science, 122 (2015) 321-335, DOI:10.1016/j.ces.2014.09.037.
- H. Miyata, H. Orihara, Y. Sato, Nonlinear ship waves and computational fluid dynamics, Proceedings of the Japan Academy, Series B, 90 (2014) 278-300, DOI:10.2183/pjab.90.278.
- Y. Sato, S. Lal, B. Niceno, Computational fluid dynamics simulation of single bubble dynamics in convective boiling flows, Multiphase Science and Technology, 25 (2013) 287-309, DOI:10.1615/MultScienTechn.v25.i2-4.110.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A sharp-interface phase change model for a mass-conservative interface tracking method, Journal of Computational Physics, 249 (2013) 127-141, DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2013.04.035.
- Y. Sato, T. Hino, K. Ohashi, Parallelization of an unstructured Navier-Stokes solver using a multi-color ordering method for OpenMP, Computers & Fluids, 88 (2013) 496-509, DOI:10.1016/j.compfluid.2013.10.008.
- Y. Sato, T. Hino, A computational fluid dynamics analysis of hydrodynamic force acting on a swimmer's hand in a swimming competition, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 12 (2013) 679-689.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A new contact line treatment for conservative level set method, Journal of Computational Physics, 231 (2012) 3887-3895, DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2012.01.034.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A conservative local interface sharpening scheme for the constrained interpolation profile method, International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, 70 (2012), 441-467, DOI:10.1002/fld.2695.
- S. Lal, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Direct numerical simulation of subcooled nucleate pool boiling, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 63 (2012), 941-946.
- B. Niceno, Y. Sato, A. Badillo, M. Andreani, Multi-scale modeling and analysis of convective boiling: towards the prediction of CHF in rod bundles, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 42 (2010), 620-635, DOI:10.5516/NET.2010.42.6.620.
- Y. Sato, T. Hino, CFD simulation of flows around a swimmer in a prone glide position, Japanese Journal of Sciences in Swimming and Water Exercise, 13 (2010), 1-9, DOI:10.2479/swex.13.1.
- S. Kudo, R. Vennell, B. Wilson, N. Waddell, Y. Sato, Influence of surface penetration on measured fluid force on a hand model, Journal of biomechanics, 41 (2008), 3502-3505, DOI:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.09.022.
- Y. Sato, H. Miyata, T. Sato, CFD simulation of 3-dimensional motion of a ship in waves, Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 4 (1999), 108-116, DOI:10.1007/s007730050013.
Book / Book Chapter
- Y. Sato, B. Smith, B. Niceno, Examples of a pool boiling simulations using an interface tracking method applied to nucleate boiling, departure from nucleate boiling and film boiling, Encyclopedia of Two-Phase Heat Transfer and Flow III, (2018) 225-263, DOI:10.1142/9789813229440_0007.
- N. Bojan, Y. Sato, Highly resolved numerical simulations of boiling flows: From building blocks to prediction of critical heat flux, in: 4th Int. Conf. Multi-scale Comp. Methods for Solids and Fluids (ECCOMAS MSF 2019), Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sep 18-20, 2019.
- S. Tsujino, M. Kepa, T. Tomizaki, Y. Sato, Y. Takeda, Study of the position stability of levitated droplets in single-axis ultrasonic acoustic levitator for X-ray protein crystallography applications, in: 2019 Int. Cong. Ultrasonics, Bruges, Belgium, Sep 3-6, 2019.
- Y. Sato, N. Bojan, Departure from nucleate boiling (DNB) simulations based on an interface tracking method, in: 18th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-18), Oregon, USA, Aug 18-23, 2019.
- M. Zhu, A. Dehbi, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Simulations of particle transport inside bubbles using coupled interface and Lagrangian tracking approaches, in: 18th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-18), Oregon, USA, Aug 18-23, 2019.
- L. Bures, Y. Sato, New contact line region model for multi-scale analysis of nucleate boiling, in: Surface Wettability Effects on Phase Change Phenomena Workshop (SWEP), Mons, Belgium, Jun 5-13, 2019.
- S. Mambelli, A. Ponomarev, Y. Sato, K. Mikityuk, Analytical and experimental study of condensationand collapse of steam bubbles at high Jakob number, in: 9th Int. Cong. Advances in Nuclear Power Plants (ICAPP 2019), Juan-les-pins, France, May 12-15, 2019.
- A. Cukrov, Y. Sato, I. Boras, B. Niceno, Numerical simulation of annular flow boiling in a vertical pipe using two-fluid model, in: 9th Int. Congress of the Croatian Society of Mechanics, Split, Croatia, Sep 18-22, 2018.
- L. Yang, D. Nam, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Uncertainty quantification of DNB closures in MCFD solver using bayesian inference method, in: ANS Best Estimate Plus Uncertainty Int. Conf. (BEPU 2018), Lucca, Italy, May 13-19, 2018.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Numerical simulation of departure from nucleate boiling (DNB), in: 3rd Int. Conf. on Numerical Methods in Multiphase Flows (ICNMMF-III), Tokyo, Japan, June 26-29, 2017.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Pool boiling simulation of water up to critical heat flux using an interface tracking method, in: 11th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics, Operation and Safety (NUTHOS-11), Gyeongju, Korea, October 9-13, 2016.
- G. Giustini, J. Murallidharan, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, V. Badalassi, S. Walker, Numerical study of heat diffusion controlled phase growth in a pressurised liquid, in: 16th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-16), Chicago, USA, 2015.
- J. Murallidharan, G. Giustini, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, V. Badalassi, S. Walker, Interface tracking based evaluation of bubble growth rates in high pressure pool boiling conditions, in: 16th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-16), Chicago, USA, 2015.
- P. Apanasevich, D. Lucas, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Numerical simulations of two-phase stratified turbulent flow in a channel, in: 2nd Int. Symp. on Multiscale Multiphase Process Engineering (MMPE14), Hamburg, Germany, 2014.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A new concept of micro-region model: A depletable micro-layer for nucleate pool boiling flows, in: 2nd Int. Conf. on Numerical Methods in Multiphase Flows (ICNMMF-II), Darmstadt, Germany, 2014, pp.202-203.
- K. Ohashi, Y. Sato, T. Hino, Comparative study of parallelization methods using Open-MP and MPI with an unstructured RANS solver for practical applications, in: Proc. 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI), Barcelona, Spain, 2014, link to paper.
- H. Badreddine, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Scale resolving simulation of dispersed bubbly flows, in: Proc. 2014 Int. Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants (ICAPP 2014), Charlotte, USA, 2014.
- Y. Sato, S. Lal, B. Niceno, Development of mass-conservative phase-change model for convective boiling simulations, in: Proc. ASME 2013 Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (IMECE2013), Volume 8C: Heat Transfer and Thermal Engineering, San Diego, USA, 2013, DOI:10.1115/IMECE2013-63607.
- H. Badreddine, Y. Sato, B. Niceno, Interface-resolving, Lagrangian bubble tracking approach for simulation of dispersed bubbly flows, in: Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Multiphase Flow (ICMF2013), Jeju, Korea, 2013.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A conservative interface sharpening scheme for two-phase boiling flows modeling with contact line treatment, in: Int. Conf. Numeri. Methods in Multiphase Flows (ICNMMF), Pennsylvalia, USA, 2012.
- Y. Sato, B. Niceno, A new conservative phase change model for nucleate boiling, in: Proc. 20th Int. Conf. Nuclear Energy for New Europe 2011 (NENE2011), Bovec, Slovenia, 2011, link to paper.
- Y. Sato, H. Taguchi, M. Ueno, H. Sawada, An experimental study of effective wave slope coefficient for two-Dimensional model, in: Proc. 6th Osaka colloquium on seakeeping and stability of ships (OC2008), Osaka, Japan, 2008, pp.298-304.
- Y. Sato, K. Uzawa, H. Miyata, Validation of motion prediction method for trimaran vessels, in: Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics (NSH2007), Michigan, USA, 2007.
- Y. Sato, H. Orihara, H. Miyata, Practical application of two CFD codes for ship motions in arbitrary waves, in: Proc. 26th Sympo. Naval Hydrodynamics , Rome, Italy, 2006.
- Y. Sato, H. Kobayashi, T. Hino, Ship flow computations by unstructured Navier-Stokes solver SURF, in: Proc. CFD Workshop Tokyo 2005 , Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
- Y. Sato, T. Hino, An uncertainty estimation exercise for two-dimensional steady incompressible flow, in: Proc. Workshop on CFD Uncertainty Analysis , Lisbon, Portugal, 2004, link to paper.
- Y. Sato, T. Hino, Estimation of thrust of swimmer's hand using CFD, in: Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. on Aqua Bio-Mechanisms , Hawaii, USA, 2003.
- Y. Sato, T. Hino, M. Hinatsu, Unsteady flow simulation around a moving body by an unstructured Navier-Stokes solver, in: Proc. 6th Numeri. Towing Tank Sympo. , Rome, Italy, 2003.
- M. Fujishima, Y. Sato, M. Miyashita, Improvement of wave absorption by a new lane marker covered with mesh, in: Proc. of 8th Int. Symp. Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming , Jyvaskyla, Finland, 1998, pp.129-134.