Technology Assessment GroupThe Technology Assessment group is part of the multi-disciplinary Laboratory for Energy systems Analysis (LEA) at the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) and is the continuation of the former GaBE Project. Technology Assessment incorporates a comprehensive range of research areas to achieve three main objectives:
- To improve understanding and thereby enable comparisons of current energy technologies and future energy options for the electricity, heating and transport sectors based on environmental, economic and socially relevant factors.
- To provide quantitative, systematic, and interdisciplinary assessments of energy technologies and energy supply strategies through the development and application of consistent methodological frameworks and databases.
- To support rational decision-making for sustainable development in the Swiss and international energy sectors, and to communicate balanced research findings to decision-makers and stakeholders.
Latest NewsNew reports from major projects led by TA-Group members:
- Potentials, costs and environmental assessment of electricity generation technologies.
- ISCHESS: Integration of stochastic renewables in the Swiss electricity supply system.
- Opportunities and challenges for electric mobility: an interdisciplinary assessment of passenger vehicles
- Brian Cox, Wojciech Jemiolo and Chris Mutel (2018). Life cycle assessment of air transportation and the Swiss commercial air transport fleet. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. Vol. 58, pp. 1-13
- Andreas Abdon, Xiaojin Zhang, David Parra, Martin K. Patel, Christian Bauer and Jörg Worlitschek (2017). Techno-economic and environmental assessment of stationary electricity storage technologies for different time scales . Energy. Vol. 139, pp. 1173-1187
- Chris Mutel (2017). Brightway: An open source framework for Life Cycle Assessment. Journal of Open Source Software. Vol. 2 (12)
- David Parra, Maciej Swierczynski, Daniel I. Stroe, Stuart. A. Norman, Andreas Abdon, Jörg Worlitschek, Travis O’Doherty, Lucelia Rodrigues, Mark Gillott, Xiaojin Zhang, Christian Bauer and Martin K. Patel (2017). An interdisciplinary review of energy storage for communities: Challenges and perspectives. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Vol. 79, pp. 730-749
- Emilie Sutra, Matteo Spada and Peter Burgherr (2017). Chemicals usage in stimulation processes for shale gas and deep geothermal systems: A comprehensive review and comparison. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Vol. 77, pp. 1-11