Technology Assessment GroupThe Technology Assessment group is part of the multi-disciplinary Laboratory for Energy systems Analysis (LEA) at the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) and is the continuation of the former GaBE Project. Technology Assessment incorporates a comprehensive range of research areas to achieve three main objectives:
- To improve understanding and thereby enable comparisons of current energy technologies and future energy options of the electricity, heating and transport sectors based on environmental, economic and socially relevant factors.
- To provide quantitative, systematic, and interdisciplinary assessments of energy technologies and energy supply strategies through the development and application of consistent and methodological frameworks and databases.
- To support rational decision-making for sustainable development in the Swiss and international energy sectors, and to communicate balanced research findings to decision-makers and stakeholders.
Latest NewsNew report from major project lead by TA-Group members:
Opportunities and challenges for electric mobility: an interdisciplinary assessment of passenger vehicles
New publications on scientific journals from the TA-Group members:
- David Parra, Xiaojin Zhang, Christian Bauer, and Martin K. Patel (2017). An integrated techno-economic and life cycle environmental assessment of power-to-gas systems. Applied Energy. Vol. 193, pp. 440-454
- Xiaojin Zhang, Christian Bauer, Chris Mutel and Kathrin Volkart (2017). Life Cycle Assessment of Power-to-Gas: Approaches, system variations and their environmental implications. Applied Energy. Vol. 190, pp. 326–338
- Kathrin Volkart, Christian Bauer, Peter Burgherr, Stefan Hirschberg, Warren Schenler and Matteo Spada (2016). Interdisciplinary assessment of renewable, nuclear and fossil power generation with and without carbon capture and storage in view of the new Swiss energy policy. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Vol. 54, Part 1, pp. 1-14
- Miguel F. Astudillo, Karin Treyer, Christian Bauer, Pierre-Olivier Pineau and Mourad Ben Amor (2016). Life cycle inventories of electricity supply through the lens of data quality: exploring challenges and opportunities. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment.
- Gregor Wernet, Christian Bauer, Bernhard Steubing, Jürgen Reinhard, Emilia Moreno-Ruiz and Bo Weidema (2016). The ecoinvent database version 3 (part I): overview and methodology. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment.
- Matteo Spada and Peter Burgherr (2016). An aftermath analysis of the 2014 coal mine accident in Soma, Turkey: Use of risk performance indicators based on historical experience. Accident Analysis & Prevention. Vol. 87, pp. 134-140