Technology Assessment Group
- To improve understanding and thereby enable comparisons of current energy technologies and future energy options for the electricity, heating and transport sectors based on environmental, economic and socially relevant factors.
- To provide quantitative, systematic, and interdisciplinary assessments of energy technologies and energy supply strategies through the development and application of consistent methodological frameworks and databases.
- To support rational decision-making for sustainable development in the Swiss and international energy sectors, and to communicate balanced research findings to decision-makers and stakeholders.
Using (waste) heat to cool buildings
In a stakeholder event representatives from research and industry were able to gather information on the results of the NRP 70 joint project THRIVE (Thermally Driven Heat Pumps for Substitution of Electricity and Fossil Fuels). PSI’s Technology Assessment Group carried out an integrated sustainability assessment of the THRIVE system and assessed its performance in various application scenarios.
New Tools by TA-Group members:
- Cinelli, M., Spada, M., Zhang, Y., Kim, W., Burgherr, P. (2018). MCDA Index Tool. An interactive software to develop indices and rankings.
- Linden, D., Cinelli, M., Spada, M., Becker, W. and Burgherr, P. (2018). Composite Indicator Analysis and Optimization (CIAO) Tool
New article by TA-Group members:
- "Can renewables fill the power gap?" by Christian Bauer (April 2018). SCCER-SoE blog.
- "Current and future environmental performance of passenger cars" by Brian Cox, Christian Bauer and Chris Mutel (May 2019). Policy Brief
New reports from major projects led by TA-Group members:
- Perspectives of Power-to-X technologies in Switzerland.
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Nuclear Power in Switzerland.
- Potentials, costs and environmental assessment of electricity generation technologies.
New publications in scientific journals by TA-Group members:
- Simon F. Schneider, Christian Bauer, Petr Novak, and Erik J. Berg (2019). A modeling framework to assess specific energy, costs and environmental impacts of Li-ion and Na-ion batteries.
- Tom Terlouw, Tarek Al Skaif, Christian Bauer and Wilfried van Sark (2019). Optimal energy management in all-electric residential energy systems with heat and electricity storage. Applied Energy.
- Rebecca Lordan-Perret, Austin L. Wright, Peter Burgherr, Matteo Spada and Robert Rosner (2019). Attacks on energy infrastructure targeting democratic institutions. Energy Policy.
- Patrick Gasser, Peter Lustenberger, Marco Cinelli, Wansub Kim, Matteo Spada, Peter Burgherr, Stefan Hirschberg, Bozidar Stojadinovic and Tian Yin Sun (2019). A review on resilience assessment of energy systems. Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure.
- Wansub Kim, Peter Burgherr, Matteo Spada, Peter Lustenberger, Anna Kalinina and Stefan Hirschberg (2019). Energy-related Severe Accident Database (ENSAD): cloud-based geospatial platform. Big Earth Data