Technology Assessment Group
- To improve understanding and thereby enable comparisons of current energy technologies and future energy options for the electricity, heating and transport sectors based on environmental, economic and socially relevant factors.
- To provide quantitative, systematic, and interdisciplinary assessments of energy technologies and energy supply strategies through the development and application of consistent methodological frameworks and databases.
- To support rational decision-making for sustainable development in the Swiss and international energy sectors, and to communicate balanced research findings to decision-makers and stakeholders.
Using (waste) heat to cool buildings
In a stakeholder event representatives from research and industry were able to gather information on the results of the NRP 70 joint project THRIVE (Thermally Driven Heat Pumps for Substitution of Electricity and Fossil Fuels). PSI’s Technology Assessment Group carried out an integrated sustainability assessment of the THRIVE system and assessed its performance in various application scenarios.
New Tools by TA-Group members:
- Cinelli, M., Spada, M., Zhang, Y., Kim, W., Burgherr, P. (2018). MCDA Index Tool. An interactive software to develop indices and rankings.
- Linden, D., Cinelli, M., Spada, M., Becker, W. and Burgherr, P. (2018). Composite Indicator Analysis and Optimization (CIAO) Tool
New article by TA-Group members:
- "Can renewables fill the power gap?" by Christian Bauer (April 2018). SCCER-SoE blog.
- "Current and future environmental performance of passenger cars" by Brian Cox, Christian Bauer and Chris Mutel (May 2019). Policy Brief
New reports from major projects led by TA-Group members:
- Potentials, costs and environmental assessment of electricity generation technologies - An update of electricity generation costs and potentials.
New publications in scientific journals by TA-Group members:
- Matteo Spada and Peter Burgherr (2020). Comparative Risk Assessment for Fossil Energy Chains Using Bayesian Model Averaging, Energies, Vol. 13(2), 295.
- Patrick Gasser, Johannes Suter, Marco Cinelli, Matteo Spada, Peter Burgherr, Stefan Hirschberg, Miłosz Kadzinski, and Bozidar Stojadinovic (2020). Comprehensive resilience assessment of electricity supply security for 140 countries, Ecological Indicators, Vol. 110, 105731.
- Peter Lustenberger, Felix Schumacher, Matteo Spada, Peter Burgherr and Bozidar Stojadinović (2019). Assessing the Performance of the European Natural Gas Network for Selected Supply Disruption Scenarios Using Open-Source Information, Energies, Vol. 12(24), 4685.
- Marco Cinelli, Matteo Spada, Miłosz Kadzinski, Grzegorz Miebs and Peter Burgherr (2019). Advancing Hazard Assessment of Energy Accidents in the Natural Gas Sector with Rough Set Theory and Decision Rules. Energies, 12, 4178.
- Simon F. Schneider, Christian Bauer, Petr Novak and Erik J. Berg (2019). A modeling framework to assess specific energy, costs and environmental impacts of Li-ion and Na-ion batteries.