Technology Assessment Group
- To improve understanding and thereby enable comparisons of current energy technologies and future energy options for the electricity, heating and transport sectors based on environmental, economic and socially relevant factors.
- To provide quantitative, systematic, and interdisciplinary assessments of energy technologies and energy supply strategies through the development and application of consistent methodological frameworks and databases.
- To support rational decision-making for sustainable development in the Swiss and international energy sectors, and to communicate balanced research findings to decision-makers and stakeholders.
Decision support for car buyers: Researchers at the Paul Scherrer Institute have developed a web tool called the Carculator that can be used to compare the environmental performance of passenger cars in detail.
An interview on automotive power systems with Christian Bauer, a scientist at PSI's Laboratory for Energy Systems Analysis who specialises in life cycle and sustainability analyses.
Petrol, diesel, fuel cell or electric – which is the automobile of the future? A PSI study has examined the overall climate impact of various vehicle engines in use today and also projected it to the year 2040.
Francesca Verones, Stefanie Hellweg, Assumpció Antón, Ligia B. Azevedo, Abhishek Chaudhary, Nuno Cosme, Stefano Cucurachi, Laura de Baan, Yan Dong, Peter Fantke, Laura Golsteijn, Michael Hauschild, Reinout Heijungs, Olivier Jolliet, Ronnie Juraske, Henrik Larsen, Alexis Laurent, Christopher L. Mutel, Manuele Margni, Montserrat Núñez, Mikolaj Owsianiak, Stephan Pfister, Tommie Ponsioen, Philipp Preiss, Ralph K. Rosenbaum, Pierre-Olivier Roy, Serenella Sala, Zoran Steinmann, Rosalie van Zelm, Rita Van Dingenen, Marisa Vieira and Mark A. J. Huijbregts (2020). LC-IMPACT: A regionalized life cycle damage assessment method. Journal of Industrial Ecology.
Anna Kalinina, Matteo Spada, David Vetsch, Stefano Marelli, Calvin Whealton, Peter Burgherr and Bruno Sudret (2020). Metamodeling for Uncertainty Quantification of a Flood Wave Model for Concrete Dam Breaks. Energies.
- Marco Cinelli, Matteo Spada, Wansub Kim, Yiwen Zhang and Peter Burgherr (2020). MCDA Index Tool: an interactive software to develop indices and rankings. Environment Systems and Decisions.
- Anna Kalinina, Matteo Spada and Peter Burgherr (2020). Probabilistic Analysis of Dam Accidents Worldwide: Risk Assessment for Dams of Different Purposes in OECD and Non‐OECD Countries with Focus on Time Trend Analysis, Risk Analysis