The Laboratory for Nuclear Materials (LNM) of the Nuclear Energy and Safety Division (NES) of the Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI)
The current main activities are related to:
- Material ageing in LWR (primary) pressure boundary components and reactor internals and its impact on integrity, safety and lifetime
- Performance and safety of LWR core materials in service and storage
- Radiation damage in structural and core/target materials and their behaviour in the service environment in advanced nuclear and accelerator systems.
- Material irradiation program at SINQ in co-operation with the NUM division.
- Post-irradiation examinations (e.g., spent fuel, SINQ targets) and failure analysis in close cooperation with the Hotlab Division AHL.
Its independent expertise and competence are always available to the Swiss safety authority, e.g. for expertise’s and consulting (TSO), and for the industry, e.g., for material examinations and failure analysis.