The operation of the beamlines at the SLS is split into three thematic areas:
View Full Machine Status
Friday, 26 September 2014 / Coffee 11:00 / Seminar 11:15 / WBGB/019
Contact Andreas Menzel (3711))
Please get in contact with us: SLS Techno Trans AG
21. August 2014Media Releases Research Using Synchrotron Light
New analyses of tiny fossil mammals from South Wales are shedding light on the function and diets of our earliest ancestors, a team led by researchers from the Universities of Bristol and Leicester report in the journal Nature. The team used CT scanning with synchrotron X-rays at PSI’s Swiss Light Source to reveal in unprecedented detail the internal anatomy of the mammals’ tiny jaws.
30. July 2014Media Releases Research Using Synchrotron Light Materials Research Matter and Material
Researchers at the PSI, the EPFL and the Chinese Academy of Science, have proven that the material SmB6 shows all the properties of a so called topological insulator – a material with electric currents flowing along its surface with all of them being polarized. Here, the property is very robust, i.e. the only current that can flow is spin polarized and is not easily destroyed by small irregularities in the structure or composition of the material. Spin polarized currents are necessary for spintronics, electronics using the electrons’ spin.
6. August 2014
15. May 2014Media Releases Medicine Human Health
Phase contrast X-ray imaging has enabled researchers at ETH Zurich, the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) and the Kantonsspital Baden to perform mammographic imaging that allows greater precision in the assessment of breast cancer and its precursors. The technique could improve biopsy diagnostics and follow-up.
25. March 2014Media Releases Biology Research Using Synchrotron Light User Experiments
Scientists have used a particle accelerator to obtain high-speed 3D X-ray visualizations of the flight muscles of flies. The team from Oxford University, Imperial College, and the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) developed a groundbreaking new CT scanning technique at the PSI’s Swiss Light Source to allow them to film inside live flying insects. The movies offer a glimpse into the inner workings of one of nature’s most complex mechanisms, showing that structural deformations are the key to understanding how a fly controls its wingbeat.
6. March 2014Media Releases Research Using Synchrotron Light Materials Research Matter and Material SwissFEL
Researchers from ETH Zurich and the Paul Scherrer Institute PSI demonstrate how the magnetic structure can be altered quickly in novel materials. The effect could be used in efficient hard drives of the future.
6. February 2014Scientific Reports. The measurement was performed at the cSAXS beamline at the Swiss Light Source using a prototype instrument of the OMNY (tOMography Nano crYo) project. Whereas this prototype measures at room temperature and atmospheric pressure, the OMNY system, to be commissioned later this year, will provide a cryogenic sample environment in ultra-high vacuum without compromising imaging capabilities. The researchers believe that such a combination of advanced imaging with state-of-the-art instrumentation is a promising path to fill the resolution gap between electron microscopy and X-ray imaging, also in case of radiation-sensitive materials such as polymer structures and biological systems.
16. January 2014
SwissFEL Undulator Prototype in the Injector Test facility - self-amplified spontaneous emission achievedOn December 5th, the 17 tons SwissFEL undulator prototype (In-vacuum Undulator U15) has been successfully moved from the Undulator lab (SLS) to the SwissFEL Injector Test Facility (SITF). The commissioning of the U15 prototype with electron beam is an important step to validate the U15 design and also to detect possible improvements before full series production. At first, the alignment procedure of the U15 segment with the electron beam has been tested. The test was extremely successful - the beginning of the SASE (self-amplified spontaneous emission) amplification could be seen last night. Please watch the short movie SASE.
9. January 2014IYCr Supporter.
6. January 2014