Dr. Zihao Zhang
5232 Villigen PSI
Zihao Zhang completed his Ph.D. in chemical engineering from Zhejiang University in September 2019. From January 2018 to July 2019, he was a visiting Ph.D. student at the University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. From October 2019 to October 2021, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and Washington State University. Since November 2021, he has been working as a postdoctoral fellow funded by the National Centres of Competence in Research (NCCR) catalysis at Paul Scherrer Institut. His current research interests are the development of novel catalytic materials for the conversion of fossil and biomass feedstocks to fuels and chemicals.
As a postdoc fellow from NCCR catalysis, Zihao's projects are focusing on the catalytic reaction mechanism consisting of the hydrodeoxygenation of lignin-derived compounds and propane oxidative dehydrogenation. The main experiments are performed on the VUV beamline at PSI and the laboratory from Prof. Javier Pérez-Ramírez's group at ETH Zurich.
For an extensive overview, please check with Google Scholar
(1) Z. Zhang#, J. Tian#, Y. Lu#, X. Gou, J. Li, W. Hu, W. Lin, R. S. Kim, J. Fu*. Exceptional Selectivity to Olefins in the Deoxygenation of Fatty Acids over an Intermetallic Platinum-Zinc Alloy. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, e202202017.
(2) X. Wu#, Z. Zhang#, Z. Pan, X. Zhou, A. Bodi, P. Hemberger*. Ketenes in the Induction of the Methanol-to-Olefins Process. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, e202207777.
(3) Z. Zhang, J. A. Schott, M. Liu, H. Chen, X. Lu, B. G. Sumpter, J. Fu*, S. Dai*. Prediction of Carbon Dioxide Adsorption of Porous Carbon via Deep Learning. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 259.
(4) Z. Zhang, S. Yao, X. Hu, F. Okejiri, K. He, Pingying Liu, Ziqi Tian, V.P. Dravid, J. Fu*, X. Zhu*, S. Dai*. Sacrificial Synthesis of Supported Ru Single Atoms and Clusters on N-doped Carbon Derived from Covalent Triazine Frameworks: A Charge Modulation Approach. Adv. Sci. 2021, 8, 2001493.
(5) Z. Zhang#, M. Jing#, H. Chen#, F. Okejiri, J. Liu, Y. Leng, H. Liu, W. Song, Z. Hou, X. Lu, J. Fu*, J. Liu*. Hydrogenation of Fatty Acids on Cu/ZrO2: Demystifying the Role of Carrier Structure and Metal-support Interface. ACS Catal. 2020, 10, 9098.
(6) Y. Yan#, Z. Zhang#, S.-M. Bak, S. Yao, X. Hu, Z. Shadike, C.-L. Do-Thanh, F. Zhang, H. Chen, X. Lyu, K. Chen, Y. Zhu, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*, S. Dai*. Confinement of Ultrasmall Cobalt Oxide Clusters within Silicalite-1 Crystals for Efficient Conversion of Fructose into Methyl Lactate. ACS Catal. 2019, 9, 1923.
(7) H. Xu, Z. Zhang, J. Liu, C. Do-Thanh, H. Chen, S. Xu, Q. Lin, Y. Jiao, J. Wang, Y. Wang*, Y. Chen*, S. Dai*. Intrinsically Stable Single-Atom Pd Catalysts via High-Entropy Fluorite Oxide Supports. Nat. Commun. 2020, 11, 3908
(8) Z. Zhang, S. Yang, X. Hu, H. Xu, H. Peng, M. Liu, B. Thapaliya, K. Jie, J. Zhao, J. Liu, H. Chen, Y. Leng, X. Lu, J. Fu*, P. Zhang*, S. Dai*. Mechanochemical Nonhydrolytic Sol–Gel-Strategy for the Production of Mesoporous Multimetallic Oxides. Chem. Mater. 2019, 31, 5529.
(9) Z. Zhang, Q. Yang, H. Chen, K. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*, J. G. Chen*. In-situ Hydrogenation and Decarboxylation of Oleic Acid into Heptadecane over a Cu-Ni Alloy Catalyst using Methanol as Hydrogen Carrier. Green Chem. 2018, 20, 197.
(10) Z. Zhang#, S. Yao#, C. Wang, M. Liu, F. Zhang, X. Hu, H. Chen, X. Gou, K. Chen, Y. Zhu, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. CuZnCoOx Multifunctional Catalyst for In Situ Hydrogenation of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural with Ethanol as Hydrogen Carrier. J. Catal. 2019, 373, 314.
(11) Z. Zhang#, W. Lin#, Y. Li, F. Okejiri, M. Liu, Y. Lu, J. Liu, H. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. Heterogeneous Non-noble Catalyst for Highly Selective Production of Linear α-Olefins from Fatty Acids: A Discovery of NiFe/C. ChemSusChem 2020, 13, 4922.
(12) Z. Zhang, Y. Li, F. Okejiri, M. Liu, H. Chen, J. Liu, K. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. Highly Selective Production of Linear 1-Heptadecene from Stearic Acid over a Partially Reduced MoOx Catalyst. Chem. Comm. 2020, 56, 4456.
(13) N. Huang#, Z. Zhang#, Y. Lu, J. Tian, D. Jiang, C. Yue, P. Zhang, P. Jiang, Y. Leng*. Assembly of Platinum Nanoparticles and Single-atom Bismuth for Selective Oxidation of Glycerol. J. Mater. Chem. A 2021, 9, 25576.
(14) H. Chen#, W. Lin#, Z. Zhang#, Z. Yang, K. Jie, J. Fu*, S. Yang*, S. Dai*. Facile Benzene Reduction Promoted by A Synergistically Coupled Cu-Co-Ce Ternary Mixed Oxide. Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 5766.
(15) X. Lyu#, Z. Zhang#, F. Okejiri, H. Chen, M. Xu, X. Chen, S. Deng*, X. Lu*. Simultaneous Conversion of C5 and C6 Sugars into Methyl Levulinate with the Addition of 1, 3, 5-Trioxane. ChemSusChem. 2019, 12, 4400.
(16) Z. Zhang, H. Cheng, H. Chen, K. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. Enhancement in the Aromatic Yield from the Catalytic Fast Pyrolysis of Rice Straw over Hexadecyl Trimethyl Ammonium Bromide Modified Hierarchical HZSM-5. Bioresour. Technol. 2018, 256, 241.
(17) Y. Lu, Z. Zhang, H. Wang*, Y. Wang*. Toward efficient single-atom catalysts for renewable fuels and chemicals production from biomass and CO2. Appl. Catal. B-Environ. 2021, 292, 120162.
(18) Z. Zhang, C. Wang, H. Chen, K. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. Catalytic In-situ Hydrogenation of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural to 2,5-Dimethylfuran over Cu-Based Catalysts with Methanol as Hydrogen Donor. Appl. Catal. A: Gen. 2019, 570, 245.
(19) Z. Zhang, H. Chen, C. Wang, K. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. Efficient and Stable Cu-Ni/ZrO2 Catalysts for in situ Hydrogenation and Deoxygenation of Oleic Acid into Heptadecane Using Methanol as a Hydrogen Donor. Fuel. 2018, 230, 211.
(20) X. Gou†, F. Okejiri†, Z. Zhang*, M. Liu, J. Liu, H. Chen, K. Chen, X. Lu, P. Ouyang, J. Fu*. Tannin-derived Bimetallic CuCo/C Catalysts for an Efficient In-situ Hydrogenation of Lauric Acid in Methanol-water Media. Fuel Processing Technol. 2020, 205, 106426.