- Run a basic pulsed laser deposition system and fabricate high-quality thin films, composites and multilayers
- Fabricate nanostructures and devices with electron beam lithography
- Carry out research that fits with one or more of the research fields of the Mesoscopic Systems Group including frustrated spin systems, ultrafast processes, hybrid systems and antiferromagnetic spintronics
- Study the static properties of the system with large scale facilities (synchrotron X-rays and neutrons)
- Study ultrafast processes with lab-based equipment and at X-ray free electron lasers
- Perform measurements with and take responsibility for the X-ray Diffractometer, SQUID and PPMS measurement systems
Excellent qualifications with a PhD degree in physics, materials science or a related subject are expected, with a high-quality track record in research. Extensive experience with magnetic thin films created with pulsed laser deposition and related characterization tools is required. Knowledge of lithography and large-scale facility measurements would also be helpful. Good teamwork and communication skills are required, with a proactive approach to drive forward research in collaboration with different laboratories at the Paul Scherrer Institute and internationally.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr Laura Heyderman, phone +41 56 310 26 13.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3701-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Jeanine Gehrig, Forschungsstrasse 111, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland