Dr. Maria Dorothea Schumann
Head of the research group Isotope and Target Chemistry
5232 Villigen PSI
- Radioanalytical studies of accelerator waste (beam dumps, concrete samples etc.)
- Development of separation procedures for extremely long-lived radionuclides, e.g. 129I, 36Cl, 79Se, 99Tc, 26Al, 10Be
- Determination of nuclear data for transmutation of nuclear waste
- Aqueous Chemistry of super-heavy elements
- Isolation of long-lived radionuclides from accelerator waste for scientific and technological purposes
- International cooperation in EU-Projects (EURISOL, EUROTRANS, GETMAT, ESS-PP)
- Initiator and manager of the ERAWAST initiative (Exotic Radionuclides from accelerator waste for Science and Technology), link coming soon
- since 2017 Head of the research group "Isotope and Target Chemistry"
- 2004-2016 Head of the research group "RadWasteAnalytics"
- 2002-2004 Senior Scientist at Paul Scherrer Institute (research group RadWasteAnalytics at the Laboratory for Radio- and Environmental Chemistry), analytics of accelerator waste samples, determination of cross sections and excitation functions from proton-irradiated heavy metal targets
- 2000-2002 Project management assistant at the company Hans-Wälischmiller Dresden
- 1992-1999 Staff member at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at the University of Technology Dresden (TU Dresden) in the research group "Radiochemistry", investigation of the behavior of transactinides, especially chemical properties of the elements Rf, Db and Sg in aqueous solution
- 1992 PhD Thesis "The Horizontal Zone Migration Technique in free Electrolyte Solution - a useful Tool for Studying the Behavior of Radionuclides in Aqueous Solution "
- 1987-1992 Fellowship at the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research, Dubna, Russia (Laboratory of Nuclear Problems, Department of Radiochemistry), studies on hydrolysis and complex chemistry of carrier free radionuclides, extraction, ion exchange, electrophoresis
- 1983-1987 PhD student at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at the TU Dresden in the research group "Radiochemistry", studies on 99mTc-complex chemistry for pharmaceutical purposes
- 1983 Diploma in Chemistry at the Dresden University of Technology (TU Dresden), Department of Analytical Chemistry (NMR- study of PAN-oligomers)
- 1977-1983 Student of Chemistry at TU Dresden
- Radiochemical seaparation techniques and radioanalytical measurement methods
- Special Qualification in Handling of radioactive material, experience in radiation protection
- Translator for Russian in chemistry