News and Highlights
Dr. Marcin Gorzny, Post-Doc at LMN in the PSI career return program recieved a poster prize at the Swiss Nanoconvention 2017 for his contribution entitled: "Silicon chip as lipid membrane holder for serial crystallography experiments".
A new method of material modification using 172 nm UV photons enables to fabricate ultra-smooth and self-optimized polymer surfaces. The method, published in Advanced Materials Technologies, was used in the production of high quality micro-optics to remove typical process flaws after a 2-photon-lithography process.
UV- and visible light-induced switching of enzymatic activity has been demonstrated using surface-grafted polymer brushes functionalized with microperoxidase MP-11 and spiropyran mojeties. Integration into an optofluidic device allowed reversible switching of the enzymatic activity under flow.
Sahan Ranamukhaarachchi, PhD student from UBC in Vancouver, won the 2016 "Brian L. Barge Award for Excellence in Microsystems Integration" for his work on a biosensing platform with integrated hollow microneedles carried out at PSI in 2015 in collaboration with Dr. Victor Cadarso and Dr. Celestino Padeste.
A promising system for painless and minimally-invasive therapeutic drug monitoring has been demonstrated. The proposed device combines biofunctionalized hollow microneedles with an optofluidic system to measure drug concentrations in volumes as small as 0.6 nL.
- Nanoimprint Lithography (NIL)
- Stamps and molds with high resolution and 3D surface topographies
- Antisticking layers for molds and patterning with chemical contrast
Applied Projects (in Collaboration with Partners)
- Nanoimprint Lithography process development (also known as Hot Embossing Lithography), within the framework of Emerging Nanopatterning Methods development in the EU integrated program NaPa (2004-2008) and the EU large program NaPANIL (2008-2012).
- Nanomanufacturing processes for arbitrary 3-dimensional surfaces in the fields of optical components and life sciences
- Injection molded polymeric micro cantilevers for biosensing
- Antiadhesive coatings for silicon, hybrid organic-inorganic polymers and Nickel
- Nanoporous chips for investigation of bio-membrane transport
- Surface patterning of polymers and antiadhesive coatings
- Variotheral injection molding, roll embossing and thermoforming
- Joint European projects with partners in the EU-FP6 Integrated Project “NaPa” Emerging Nanopatterning Methods (2004-2008) and “NaPANIL” (2008-2012)
- Collaborations in the CNMM programme with partners in Korea (2008-2012)
- Applied projects with industrial partners in the framework of CTI, NCCR and NanoArgovia
- Center for Cellular Imaging and NanoAnalytics Biozentrum, University of Basel
- Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology (LSST), Department of Materials, ETH Zürich
- BIOMAT - Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Research Laboratory, METU, Ankara
- Partners in PSI
Competencies for Partnership in Research Projects
- Thermal nanoimprint lithography up to 180 mm wafer size, UV up to 150 mm wafer size with experience in process development, polymer rheology and applications
- Stamp manufacturing using e-beam lithography
- Antiadhesive coatings for imprint and injection molding using silane chemistry
- Fabrication of micro- and nanostructures for microfluidics, optics and surface topography