Daily Bulletin No. 7
For your orientation, you are hereby receiving the daily bulletin from PSI on the impact of the pandemic on your work. You can also view the bulletin on the internet at www.psi.ch/corona or on the intranet at https://intranet.psi.ch/DIR/NewsTopic0199.
Measures communicated in previous issues remain valid. Any discontinuation of a measure will be communicated here.
Structure of the bulletin:
- general situation in Switzerland
- special position PSI
- the following measures, which apply to all employees
- Information for scientific employees
1. General situation in Switzerland:
Switzerland currently notes 10451 Covid-19 cases, of which 144 have so far died. Most intensive care places in hospitals are occupied and shortages of blood bags and medicines are becoming apparent. In the meantime, an additional 1200 ventilators and monitors have been ordered for the hospitals, 180 of which can be delivered per week. Capacity utilisation of telephony and network services remains high, but thanks to stabilisation measures taken by network operators is no longer overloaded.
2. Special Situation PSI:
- PSI has worked out defined scenarios for its operational status. With the help of these scenarios, the pandemic team decides in which state PSI should be operated in order to comply with official orders. Here are the scenarios:
Still applying: The PSI is currently in state “Limited Operations III”. The instructions of the line management must be followed.
- Furthermore we ask you to support the members of the pandemic team in their work and to respond to their inquiries as a priority. The PSI Pandemic Staff consists of the following persons:
- Experts believe that in the coming weeks a large part of the population will have the Covid-19 virus. According to this, it can be assumed that there will be more and more people at the Paul Scherrer Institute who have a confirmed infection. In such cases, the pandemic staff, together with the managers, will inform the colleagues with whom the infected person has been in contact. It takes the necessary measures to protect them and ensures a safe working environment.
3. Resulting measures, which apply to all employees:
- A list of FAQs can be found here in the intranet and here in the internet.
- Only for border crossers: In Germany, the Federal Police has been instructed by the Federal Ministry of the Interior to carry out temporary border controls at the borders with neighbouring countries from 16 March 2020 until further notice. These controls serve to further reduce the risk of infection by the corona virus. A uniform commuter certificate has been issued for commuters as proof. The commuter certificates issued so far are still valid until 31 March 2020. After this date, only the standard federal certificates will be valid (see link below). These must be completed by commuters and confirmed by the employer. You can find the commuter certificate here: https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/04Aktuelles/01Meldungen/2020/03/200317_faq.html. Please send the completed certificate by e-mail to email@example.com. You will receive the stamped certificate back by e-mail. Sign it after printing it out. To speed up border controls, place this commuter certificate behind the windscreen.
- Currently, about 15 % of the employees are still located on the PSI site. During several inspections, the pandemic team noted that the measures and recommendations of the federal government are being observed. Only in a few individual cases did employees have to be made aware of the principle of "social distancing".
- Information and IT security: The current situation is also a tough examination of existing processes and tools for the exchange of information. Existing IT systems and processes at PSI are sometimes reaching their limits and employees are looking for alternative solutions. However, Google Docs, Dropbox, etc. harbour security risks and are therefore not permitted for the exchange of internal documents. All directives on information and IT security remain in force. It is the responsibility of all employees to ensure compliance with the directives. Further information and recommendations are available at https://www.psi.ch/en/node/19679.
4. Information for scientific employees
There is no new information today.
Due to the special situation of PSI as defined under point 2, specific measures have to be taken in your organisational unit. Your line manager decides which measures are to be taken and how they are to be implemented by you. Please therefore remain in constant contact with your line manager. He/she will ask you to provide your private contact details (mobile, landline, e-mail).
We thank you for your help and wish you continued good health
Thierry Strässle Karsten Bugmann
Director a.i. Head of Pandemic Team