Dr. Yang Chen
5232 Villigen PSI
Yang Chen is a postdoctoral fellow in the group “Structure and Mechanics of Advanced Materials (SMAM)” at PSI. Yang Chen completed his PhD study in Physics in 2017 at Heriot-Watt University in the UK. During his PhD study, he worked on the design of hollow-core photonic crystal fibers for mid-infrared laser transmission and developed theories for the ultrafast nonlinear propagation in chirally twisted fibers. Upon graduation, he joined the Russell Division of Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light in Germany as a postdoc to continue his research on chiral photonic crystal fibers. He studied novel vectorial theories to quantify the helical Bloch modes in these chiral photonic systems and extended their wide use in the investigations of unconventional circular dichroism, Raman vortex conversion, Brillouin lasers, Bragg reflection and conversion in helically twisted photonic crystal fibers. In 2021, he joined the SMAM group to conduct novel research on computational birefringence microscopy.
Dr. Yang Chen's research interests include polarimetric microscopy, computational imaging, microstructured photonic crystal fibers, chiral optical fibers, and vortex optics. With his expertise in microstructured fiber optics, he investigates the light-matter interactions both linear and nonlinear in these exotic photonic materials and their applications in communications, nonlinear optics, and quantum photonics. With his interest in computational polarimetric microscopy, he is developing novel computational imaging techniques for the non-invasive detection of the microstructures of biological materials.
- Philip St.J. Russell, and Yang Chen, "Localization of light in multi-helical arrays of discrete coupled waveguides," Laser & Photonics Reviews, 2200570 (2022).
- Yang Chen, Jonas Hammer, Nickolas Joly, and Philip St.J. Russell, "Twist and strain tuning of third harmonic generation in glass nanostrand with two sub-wavelength hollow channels," Optics Letters 46, 5288-5291 (2021).
- Yang Chen, and Philip St.J. Russell, "Frenet-Serret analysis of helical Bloch modes in N-fold rotationally symmetric rings of coupled spiraling optical waveguides," Journal of the Optical Society of America B 38, 1173-1183 (2021).
- Sona Davtyan, David Novoa, Yang Chen, Michael Frosz, and Philip. St.J. Russell, “Polarization-tailored Raman frequency conversion in chiral gas-filled hollow-core photonic crystal fibers,” Physical Review Letters 122, 143902 (2019).
- Paul Roth, Yang Chen, Ramin Beravat, Nitin Edavalath, Michael Frosz, Goran Ahmed, Gordon Wong, Philip St.J. Russell, "Strong circular dichroism in twisted single-ring hollow-core photonic crystal fiber," Optica 5, 1315-1321 (2018).
- Yang Chen, Mohammed F. Saleh, Nicolas Y. Joly, and Fabio Biancalana, "Low-loss single-mode negatively curved square-core hollow fibers," Optics Letters, 42(7), 1285-1288 (2017).
- Yang Chen, Mohammed F. Saleh, Nicolas Y. Joly, and Fabio Biancalana, "Guiding 2.94 μm using low-loss microstructured antiresonant triangular-core fibers," Journal of Applied Physics 119(14), 143104 (2016).